Thursday, August 2, 2007

football vs futbol




a special friend expressed their tiredness of hearing about relationships and "game", so I thought I'd switch up the gears for a hot second. apparently football training season started this past week. but I never really got the appeal to training camps or pre-seasons.

naturally, the regular season is just more fun to me. the awesome part of the regular season is that the players go balls to the walls, which is why football is more fun to watch than baseball or basketball (who play a million games a season). so despite my affinity for football sundays, I have absolutely no desire to ask questions about "training" camp.

I'd rather talk about the super bowl. or better yet, I'd rather talk about the superbowl vs. the world cup finals. sorry Becca, but I gotta choose futbol (aka soccer). the stakes are higher. I mean, countries riot, dudes get beat up at games, and the entire world waches. superbowl sunday is pretty mundane in comparison to the madness of the world cup finals. and you know what kinda confuses me....we here in the good ol' U.S. of A use the term "world champions" when a team wins the superbowl or world series, but the last time I checked google maps, we weren't the only country in the world.

so my question for you is: what's a better sporting event, the superbowl or the world cup finals?

6 comments:

Justin said...

One event is an annual national championship highlighted by commercials and a halftime show. The other happens every four years and captures the collective attention of the planet. Need I say more?

Unknown said...

I own a Matt Hasselbeck jersey and matching shiny spandex American Apparel leggings. I think that shows my feelings on the matter.

Adam said...

One is over quickly, always below expectations, and features people with bloated egos and a false-sense of self importance.

The other lasts a long time, engages multiple partners, and is always satisfying.

Wait, we're talking about Soccer right?

Scott said...

i have a new question:

which is hottest?
a.) Arnold posing
b.) DLo posing
c.) Brazilian shawty posing?

Anonymous said...

Really? Watching guys run INTO each other or watching guys run AROUND each other. Claiming "futbol" is where its at-whatever. Let's face it everyone enjoys a bone-crushing hit followed by a concussion...
I guess there is one exception-what if Scott Hazelton was in the World Cup! Who wouldn't watch it?

Anonymous said...

Football has a somewhat of a self-inflated sense of importance. Futbol, the stakes are higher, the entire world just goes APE, and crazy shit happens like zinedane zidane head butting somebody off their ass.

For some reason, hard core football fans are emasculated or threatened by futbol. Some how one of the most physically demanding sports embraced by 90% of the world is deemed "sissy".